Quarrying Exhibit :
Collection:
Quarrying Collection
Description:
State Quarry was originally mined by Peter Ambrose, and Alex McTrusty. On July 1, 1926 the Wisconsin State Reformatory in Green Bay leased the quarry for four years with Peter McTrusty as foreman. The quarry was run by inmates from the Reformatory. Cut granite from the quarry was used to build the Wilson Street State Office Building in Madison, a new bunkhouse at Oneida and additional buildings for the Reformatory. The average amount of stone shipped averaged from 12-14 carloads.
Notes:
Original print stored in office file.
Catalog Number:
0009.22
Object Name:
Print, Photographic
Print Size:
5 x 7
Search Terms:
State Quarry
Wisconsin State Reformatory
Subjects:
Quarries
Reformatories
Prison laborers
Granite quarrying
Title:
State Quarry
Kid Tales:
The State Quarry derrick could lift 30 tons or 60,000 pounds of rock. About how many automobiles weighing 2000 pounds each would this derrick be able to lift?
Click to Enlarge
State QuarryState Quarry