Quarrying Exhibit :
Collection:
Quarrying Collection
Date:
1905
Description:
Inside view of the Amberg Granite Company stone shed originally built by William Amberg in 1888. A steam engine crane traveled overhead to move stone and on the side are winter stock piles of granite for cemetery monuments. It is possible the picture shows the temporary operation of the shed by the Pike River Granite Company.
Notes:
First print from negative no. 11; second print from negative no. 12.
Original print stored in office file.
Catalog Number:
0009.26
Object Name:
Print, Photographic
Print Size:
5 x 7
Search Terms:
Amberg Granite Company
Amberg Stone Shed
Pike River Granite Company
American Granite Company
Title:
Amberg Granite Company Stone Shed
Kid Tales:
The stone shed had two overhead cranes. Look for the large box of one of the cranes at the top of the photograph. Workers who ran the cranes traveled in the large wood boxes. The steam engines inside each box that ran the cranes where called "steam jennies."
Click to Enlarge
Amberg Stone ShedAmberg Stone Shed
Amberg Stone ShedAmberg Stone Shed